Sunday, February 21, 2010

Sweet Potato Falafel Balls


So when I saw this recipe on
Oh She Glows, I knew that it would be a winner. I absolutely love Mediterranean food and falafel is one of my favorite dishes. I am also completely obsessed with sweet potatoes. These little falafel balls dipped into hummus is just pure heaven. And they are so simple to make!!

Sweet Potato Falafel Balls
  • 2 medium sweet potatoes
  • 1 1/2 t ground cumin
  • 2 small cloves of garlic, chopped
  • 1 1/2 t ground coriander
  • 1 heaping cup spinach, chopped
  • 1.5 T lemon juice or Juice or half a lemon’s juice
  • Just less than 1 cup of chickpea flour
  • Salt and pepper, to taste

Directions: Preheat oven to 400F. Pre grease a baking sheet with oil or spray.

Cut a few slits into the sweet potatoes and then microwave on high for 9-11 minutes until tender. Let cool for several minutes and carefully peel away the skin (or peel potatoes before heating).

While the potatoes are microwaving, in a medium sized bowl mix together the cumin, chopped garlic, coriander, and chickpea flour. Stir well. Add chopped spinach and lemon juice and mix well with a fork.

Chop up sweet potatoes into small chunks and then mash with a fork. Add potatoes to the other ingredients. Mix well until all ingredients are incorporated. Season with salt and pepper to taste.

Wet hands and form falafel balls. Bake in the oven for 15-20 minutes until slightly golden.

Yields 18-20 Falafel Balls

1 comment:

  1. Annie, hi!

    We've been out of touch for multiple years, but I just came across your blog and I'm super-impressed/inspired.
    I'm really excited to try this (if I can find chick pea flour...?)
    And I see you MARRIED the NU guy who you met over that summer working at CK....wow...Congratulations. Crazy.....

    Best,

    Lily

    ReplyDelete