Monday, February 8, 2010

Mexican FAKE OUT

So I was really craving some mexican food from chipotle but come on, we're on a budget here and we're trying to save for a house... so I stalked chipotle's website and found what I wanted to make for dinner tonight based on their menu. I made all low-fat versions of my favorites and you will be just as amazed as I was with how delicious it all tastes!!! Every other bite was MMMM WOWWW SO GOOD... you get the picture.

First things first - Guacamole
This isn't your typical guacamole because it doesn't contain all the fat!!! I know that avacado is good fat, but it still scares me. So this is my modified version which I died over.

Guacamole Fake Out
1 cup thawed peas
1 cup medium salsa
2 tbsp avacado
1 small lime, juiced
cilantro for garnish (optional)

Put all ingredients into a blender or food processor until thoroughly blended

With all the amazing spiciness goin on, I wanted something sweet and tangy for my dressing. Enter the chipotle-honey oil based dressing that chipotle puts on their salads. I found a recipe online and then completely re-vamped it to make it my own. It looks like it's a nice creamy dressing full of lots of dairy.... except it's not!!!

Chipotle-Honey Creamy Dressing Fake Out
1/2 cup red wine vinegar
1/4 cup honey
1 tbsp dijon mustard
2 tbsp lime juice
1 tsp chipotle powder (or sub 1/4 tsp cayenne)
1/2 tsp paprika
1/4 tsp garlic powder
1/4 tsp onion powder
1/4 tsp oregano
1/4-1/2 cup of silken firm tofu (add more as you want to thicken it)
Cilantro for garnish (optional)

Add all ingredients to a blender or food processor and puree!
The tofu adds all the creaminess and thickness to the dressing making this baby fat free! The amount of tart from the vinegar, spice from the cayenne (that's all I had), and sweetness from the honey makes this dressing. to. die. for.

Lastly, a mexican night is not complete without some salsa. I was drooling over their Roasted Chili Corn Salsa on the website and made a similar version based on the ingredients that they listed!

Roasted Chili Corn Salsa (medium spiciness)
3 cups of frozen yellow corn
1 poblano chili, seeded and chopped
2 jalapenos, seeded and chopped
1/2 red onion, chopped
1/3 cup cilantro, chopped
2 tbsp lime juice

Pre-heat oven to 400 and roast corn until some of it starts to turn golden brown (about 15 minutes). Meanwhile chop up the remaining ingredients and add to a bowl. When the corn is done, add that to the bowl as well. Pour in 2 tbsp of lime juice and stir together!

The last thing that I made to go with all the craziness were stuffed poblano chilis. This was ridiculously easy to make and I got the idea from Cooking Light

Stuffed Poblano Chilis
2 poblano chilis, halved and seeded
1/2 can of fat free refried beans (about 3/4 cup)
1/2 pouch microwavable rice (about 1/2 cup)
1/4 cup medium salsa
grated vegan cheese or regular cheese (optional)

Pre-heat oven to 400 and place chilis face down onto a greased cooking sheet. Cook for 10 minutes. Meanwhile combine the beans, rice, and salsa together in a bowl. When the chilis are ready, flip them over and fill them up with bean mixture. Pop back into the oven for another 10 minutes. If you are using cheese, sprinkle on top and then turn the broiler on for 2 minutes to melt and brown everything up a little bit more!

Mike's plate with the chili's before he attacked his rice and salad with all the toppings.

My plate with a salad topped with dressing, guac, corn salsa, black beans, and jalapeno peppers.

No comments:

Post a Comment