Saturday, March 20, 2010

Banana "Yogurt" Parfait



So now that the weather is warmer I just love sweet, juicy, cold fruit. One thing I used to love were yogurt parfaits mostly for the fruit and granola. I decided to make a banana based "yogurt" instead of running to the store to buy a soy yogurt substitute. I was never too crazy about yogurt to begin with, so buying a fake version didn't sound too good to me. This banana version is AMAZING with the fruit and granola, it all just comes together so well. I made this 2 days in a row now and I don't know if I'll ever get sick of it. The only thing you need to do ahead of time is peel a banana, slice it up, and pop it into the freezer.


Banana "Yogurt" Parfait - makes 2 servings
1 frozen medium to large banana
1/4 cup almond milk
1/4 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 cup frozen raspberries
1/2 cup frozen blueberries
1/2 cup granola (I used Galaxy Granola Not Sweet Vanilla bc it's baked in apples instead of oil!)

In a food processor, add frozen banana chunks, almond milk, and vanilla. Let run for about 2 minutes until the mixture is a smooth consistency. This should make about 1 cup of banana yogurt.

In 2 glasses or bowls, spoon the yogurt layers as follows:
  • 1/4 cup banana yogurt
  • 1/4 cup berries
  • 2 Tbsp granola
Repeat for a second time to create 6 layers. If you want to make just one parfait, then the banana yogurt can be kept in the fridge until you're ready to use it up!


Just for comparison's sake, I'm going to compare the nutritional facts of my Banana Yogurt Parfait to the McDonald's Yogurt Parfait (which I used to love). The reason my parfait has more calories is because I use 1/4 cup (30 grams) of granola (which is 115 calories) per serving while McDonald's only uses 7 grams of granola. Um that sucks bc the granola is the best part!!!

Look at all that fiber that's going to keep you full!!!

Enjoy!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment