Saturday, November 21, 2009

Fudge

So my friend Bridget posted that she was making this recipe the other night, a low-fat fudge recipe. I thought wow that looks soo yummy! But of course I had to change it up a little bit!!

So first off I bought a box of brownie mix from Whole Foods which was 13.1 ounces. The recipe calls for a brownie mix that is 18.3 ounces. Hmmmm I wonder how I will ever figure out how much pumpkin to use. Oh yeah.... MATH!


I actually had my Algebra 1 students do this last year for an extra credit assignment. I gave them a recipe to make with a certain ratio that they had to scale up/down to make the correct amount. Of course I made them show all their work a separate piece of paper so they couldn't pretend to make the right amount. So I once again prove that math is not useless (a tireless question asked by teenagers).

Anyways back to cooking, here is my pumpkin measured out correctly with the brownie mix that I used.

Now I don't have this magical peanut butter that the recipe is asking for, so instead I found a tip online for making a similar version of peanut butter with less calories. It's so genius that I wish I had thought of it myself.

Combine 1 part peanut (or almond) butter with 1 part milk (regular or a substitute - I used unsweetened vanilla almond milk). You will get a smooth creamy mixture that is half the calories of regular peanut butter just like that mystery peanut butter hungry girl tells you to buy.

1/2 almond butter and 1/2 almond milk concoction in jar, next to my "fudge"

I then proceeded to dollop 2 tablespoons of almond butter on top of my fudge and then go to town with my swirling!

I put it in the oven at 350 for 35 minutes and this is what came out.

It is currently hiding out in the fridge until tomorrow morning where I can cut it into 36 little fudge squares that will be a fabulous 45 calories a piece! I will post an updated picture of the finished assembled product =]

Enjoy!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment