Friday, October 30, 2009

General Tsos Sauce

So this is a recipe that I have been working on for a while. I've gone to all different sites to see what ingredients were in common and then added or left off ingredients that were unique to a recipe. The following recipe is what I came up with after experimenting for a while. My husband and I love to order Chinese every Friday, but unfortunately because of my sensitivity to salt, I can't eat the Chinese food from the restaurant. So instead I steam up some broccoli, carrots, and tofu, and then make my own sauce!

1 teaspoon of sesame oil (or any of kind oil if you don't have this)
2-3 scallions (green onions) chopped up
1 teaspoon of chopped garlic
1/2 cup of vegetable broth
1 teaspoon-1 tablespoon of soy sauce (depending on how salty you like it)
1/4 - 1/2 teaspoon of red pepper flakes (depending on how hot you like it)
1/2 teaspoon of dried ginger
1 tablespoon of sugar (or agave nectar if you have it)
1 tablespoon of sherry vinegar (or plain vinegar works fine too)
1/2 tablespoon of cornstarch, dissolved in water

Heat up the oil in a pan and add the scallions and garlic.
Once these have browned, add the vegetable broth, soy sauce, red pepper flakes, ginger, sugar, and vinegar. Mix the ingredients together over medium heat to let the flavors come together.
When the sauce is hot enough, add the cornstarch to thicken up the sauce.

And that's it! It's yummy and a lot healthier than what you get at fast food places.


No comments:

Post a Comment