Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Granola Bars

So I made my own granola bars because a little box of Kashi bars are like $4 for 6 of them. I bought some oats in the bulk bins from whole foods, some carob chips, and dried cherries to make my own bars that I've been slowly munching on for the last 2 weeks now. They're about 150 calories each and I really love them so much!

I got the recipe from the whole foods website, but modified it based on the sweetener that I like using.. but you could certainly use maple syrup if you want! I want to try to make these next time with peanut butter (instead of the oil) and carob chips. Mmmmm yummy!

4 cups quick cook oats
1/3 cup safflower oil (or canola)
3/4 cup brown rice syrup (or use pure maple syrup)
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup vegan carob chips
1 cup of dried cherries

Preheat oven to 350°F. Spread oats onto a baking sheet and bake for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally. Meanwhile, mix together oil, syrup, vanilla, carob chips and walnuts in a large bowl. Add warm oats and stir well. Spread oat mixture into a greased 9- x 13-inch baking dish, pressing down hard to compact it. Bake for 25 to 30 minutes, or until golden brown. Cool completely, then cut into bars.

Finished product! So yummy!


No comments:

Post a Comment